While the occasional indulgence won’t harm you, primarily making healthy choices will help you stay hydrated and feeling good in the heat.
Here are a few ways to keep the treats a little healthier this summer:
1. Watch your portion size. Go ahead, get the icecream with the family but make sure you keep it simple. Order a single scoop or a soft serve single cone. Also keep it a ‘treat’ and try not to make it an everyday habit.
2. Have your fruit and eat it too. Try freezing bananas and dipping them in dark chocolate, yogurt and/or nuts. You can also make a ‘Banana Soft Serve’ by blending a frozen banana in the food processor along with cocoa powder and a bit of peanut butter. You can try lots of other combinations too!
3. Make a refreshing smoothie at home. For a healthy treat, keep it simple is my rule of thumb. Using basic ingredients and keeping the servings to a normal (not big gulp) size can provide you with a healthy sweet drink. Opt for unsweetened frozen fruit, skim or nut milk (skip the juices), add a little Greek yogurt, if you’d like. Feeling bold?- Throw in a handful of spinach. You won’t taste the greens but will gain the benefits.
4. Try freezing grapes. Pop them in the freezer for a refreshing treat on hot days.
5. Opt for ice cold sparkling water with lemon and just a splash of 100% fruit juice. A great way to rehydrate without all the added sugar in soda.
Hope these tips help you have your summer fun and stay healthy too. ?